Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Rachel (Chenoweth) Pereira

Ms. McKenna was my Advanced English teacher my freshmen ('99) and junior years ('01) and my A.P. English teacher my senior year ('02). I started out barely being able to write a 5 paragraph essay. She taught me pretty much everything I know about literature and essay writing. But lots of English teachers teach that stuff. What set Ms. McKenna above the rest was her passion for superior education. She taught me how to really think about themes and symbolism in literature. She taught me to make connections and apply them to my life. She challenged me, not only with coursework, but with my beliefs and made me defend them. She didn't often agree with my point of view, but she wanted to hear what I had to say and my justifications. She never told me I was wrong or belittled me. She respected me. Therefore, I felt empowered with my opinions. She made me feel important. She wasn't a lecturer. She was a professional discussion-cultivator. She was sarcastic, which was refreshing in comparison to other teachers. She was hard. She expected a lot of me. She wanted me to succeed. My senior year, I didn't get very good grades in her class, because I stopped caring so much about school. That bothered her, and she told me so. I don't think disappointing someone ever felt so shameful, as it did with her.

When she was pregnant with her 2nd child, a couple of friends and I went up to her after class to congratulate her. She thanked us but confessed, she thought it was silly to congratulate someone on pregnancy, because "It like saying, congratulations on successful sex!" That has always made me laugh, and I think of that quote each time I've been pregnant.

I remember she had us read a classic book my freshmen year, "Catcher in the Rye". It was one of her favorites. I, however, hated it! I can't even remember why I hated it so much, but I told her I didn't like it. Instead of trying to change my mind, she challenged me to write a well-justified persuasive essay why I didn't think it was good literature. So I did! I got an "A" on that paper, even though I know she disagreed with every argument I made.

My senior year, for my final project, I did a painting for her. It was of a girl with her lips sewed shut, but the stitches were being cut with a pair of scissors held by a hand-- Ms. McKenna's hand. It was symbolic of the freedom she gave me (and really all of her students) to express my opinions while in her class. Everyone was safe and accepted there. A couple years ago I went to visit her class and the painting was still there! She told me it always evoked strong reactions... some liked it, some hated it. I think she kept it around because of the controversy it created.

There is a quote that perfectly encapsulates what I felt Ms. McKenna accomplished as a teacher for me:

"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge." -Albert Einstein

-Rachel (Chenoweth) Pereira, 2003 Graduate of JDHS

No comments:

Post a Comment