Monday, October 17, 2011

The Purpose...

The purpose of this blog is to communicate memories and gratitude for an influential teacher in the lives of so many of her students. Ms. McKenna taught English at Juneau-Douglas High School from 1997-2011. She died, unexpectedly, in her home on on Saturday, October 15th, 2011. I can't imagine the pain her family is feeling, but especially the heartache and confusion her two children must be feeling. It was with them in mind, that I felt compelled to create this blog, in order to compile memories, thoughts, thank you notes, pictures, or just ways that her life changed yours for the better. Once everyone who desires to, has contributed, I will publish all the posts into a book and send it to her children. My hope is that through reading these compilations they may catch a glimpse of what it was like to be her student, and to also learn of the legacy she created through passionate teaching.

To contribute (and I hope you will!) email me at: brpereira@gmail.com with the subject title, Ms. McKenna, and I will publish it promptly.

2 comments:

  1. I will be definitely making a post as she was one of my favorite teachers. I just wanted to let you know now that Ali was teaching English from at least 1997. She taught my advanced freshman English class when she was still Ms. Gray, had just gotten married, and our classroom was over in Marie Drake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, thank you for that information! I was actually confused because the School District said she had been teaching for 15 years, but I found her resume online that said differently (http://www.limu.com/pop-up/p_6.html?KA_ID=1146). I will definitely make the amendment!

    ReplyDelete