Friday, October 21, 2011

Lynette Campbell

Want to share this portion of a private e-mail Ali sent me that exemplifies her magnificent passion for students:

"This propensity to label everyone really
bothers me because I have seen how powerful the self-fulfilling prophecy
is. They become what they are told they are: "regular" (what in the heck
does that mean?), "gifted" (I honestly believe everyone is gifted--just
some in ways that traditional educational systems don't value or
acknowledge). Some of my most astute thinkers were in the CHOICE program
for "at-risk" students (another absurd label) and some of my sloppiest
thinkers were in my senior AP course. I know I probably call on certain
students when the discussion is becoming insipid or repetitive , but I
try to encourage all voices.

Ali"

No comments:

Post a Comment